Wednesday, March 30, 2022

How to get there?

Someone help! How do I move a piano student from fun pieces to vastly emotional pieces? How do I shift from service-oriented teaching to real teaching? And do I still tell jokes?

How do I shift a student from note-y and rhythmic piano playing, to linking up dynamics, change in tempo, phrasing and outpouring of emotions in a natural manner? And still not get the fundamental notes wrong. Without drilling though. I hate drilling students.

How to shift from a presentation-focused performance, to truly performing music, but still in a fun way? How do I speak to long-term students that started with kiddish music in their childhood years, but are now preparing for a huge milestone in their musical route? Do I still joke, or should I cut it out? Can't I joke a little? Because it is fun to do so!

When playing pieces from the Romantic period, can I still feel happy, or must my feelings be like...a pool of emotions and endless breathing at phrased sections? And, actually, every note needs different finger weight, isn't it.

Most importantly, do I still need to do the fun family dynamic thingy, or no need to involve parents anymore? Will parents forget all about piano or do they secretly still want to be involved? Will they hide in the next room and listen to the lesson, or will they go shopping?

Someone please advice! No, not another teachers' upgrading seminar, no need those anymore, I need to know HOW to guide my intermediate students to advance naturally with no tantrums thrown!