Wednesday, March 16, 2022

Hardest Part

Actually, piano playing should always be fun, at every stage, especially the beginning and even until you are a professional. If music making is not fun, then....it better mean that you are an autistic musical genius, because you are a perfectionist and you cannot function playing music in a group, because it is not fun as you must feel and play every note on your own, only.

What about difficulty? Is piano playing difficult and if so, which is the hardest component?

I used to think that the beginning stage is the hardest but I was so wrong - the beginning stage is SO BLOODY FUN! There is no pressure to perform both hands, go for exams or to even memorise anything! You are treated like a baby and parents keep on checking in. At least at the beginning stage, parents are dying to sit in during lessons....back then.

If the beginning stage is not the toughest, then what is?

Some teachers tell me its both hands coordination/playing, but I don't think so. Because both hands do not require much brain work, no more than one-plus-one-equals-two, because you just need to put two things together, like mixing chili and garlic, really not so tough.

Scales are not tough too, in fact Scales are super boring and non-musical. There is no rhythm. Notes are just played over and over again in different parts of the piano.

I think playing songs/pieces are the hardest.

I know right! Notice I said songs, with an 's' (plural). I mean, playing a song/piece is easy, playing one-hand is easy, playing songs/pieces in their most complete form is hard.

Because when you put pieces side by side, the character of each distinct piece becomes blurred - an exciting piece starts to sound weary while a soothing piece starts to sound like an accented piece. The sense of key for each piece is lost and even the audience is like.... "huh, this piece so long?" when it is actually the following piece already.

I used to really drill a piece to its most perfect stage with my students - singing, tapping, playing separate hands, duet-playing etc... But there is really no need for drilling, because so what if one piece is perfected? Is music making only for one piece?

Now, I see things in a bigger picture, and I am happier... What about you, my friend?

No comments: