Sunday, January 1, 2023

If I would structure my lesson...

Yo yo yo guys, what's up! Is the new year treating you well? My fellow old men and women, how's your butt? Still hurting? How are my dearest Gen Z kids? Spotify is truly better than Youtube huh... My same-age millennials, eh how's your kids?

All right, jokes aside. Here I am, sitting in a room, finally having access to a proper labtop, just thinking - if I ever am allowed to vocalise my thoughts -> how would I want to structure my piano lessons?

Obviously the context here is - there are no bloody piano exams, no high-ego bosses or parents to submit to, no urge to earn money.... how would I structure my lessons?

Actually, I would continue to use the standard syllabus, because otherwise I would have nothing to do, let alone teach! I am only a Singaporean leh, not from big America, I definitely don't have any pedagogy or ideas on my own, because I always copy USA/UK/Europe hahahahaha!!

Scales - copy from ABRSM

Pieces - copy from ABRSM

Sight-Reading - copy from ABRSM and Paul Harris

Aural - huh, got time to cover? Hahahahahaha!

Theory - copy from UK

Fun pieces - steal from Musescore (but they only allow up to two visits a week for non-members)

Bonus classical pieces - steal from my own brains, because thank god I have the ability to simplify challenging pieces and teach by-rote to my students.

So ya, I would still teach the exam syllabus! Because otherwise I truly am brainless. I do have some ideas for fun pieces outside of exam pieces, but so often I depend on my students for suggestions that I wonder, should I pay my students? They know the latest movie soundtracks, popular songs, dance hits! Ya, I should definitely pay my students...

Oh but one thing definitely, I WANT TO INCLUDE SINGING IN MY STUPID PIANO LESSONS! I want my students to really enjoy the pleasure of singing. I don't care whether you are doing solfege, lyric or vowels singing. I just want my students to open their bloody mouth and allow pitches to come out! Please for god's sake, please be in pitch, please I beg the music god, let my students sing in pitch can?

IF I include advertorials or commercials in this stupid piano blog, are you ok with that? Don't kill me...

No comments: