Monday, February 7, 2022

Other Jobs

There was a time when I wish I don't need to teach piano, or in fact, do anything, for a living, because teaching is a service job and I was too young to understand the deep meaning of true service.

Not that I am in love with service jobs now, but isn't every job a giving one?

Other jobs I have tried includes admin, waitress and usher. And if I have a choice, I will always return to piano teaching to make a living, because it is a job which is most.....alive!

I want to be a blogger too! But I can't even keep this blog alive! I really want to do something in the beauty industry, but probably in my next life.

But why music and why specifically piano? Actually I like electone too. You know what is electone anot? ... But electone doesn't have enough keys, yes it has excellent sounds and beats, but it still feels limited, but actually even the piano feels limited at times, maybe because I don't use grand piano.

Music is very weird. Since day 1, it is already alive. When you press a note, it produces a sound immediately. For all us impatient bitches out there, piano gives instant gratification. Unlike say, science, traditional lessons are structured such that you only finally do an actual experiment in your secondary school years, which by then your interest for science is already gone.

Piano teaching is a direct job. As a teacher, if I cover Song A, student will know Song A today. If I drill Scale B, student will master Scale B today but forget it tomorrow. If I do a touch-and-go for 10 pieces in a row, student will know "hey these 10 pieces sound like this!"

I guess I can never do anything else other than piano teaching? I mean, I tried to learn violin in the hopes of joining an orchestral one day, but I only reached Grade 5. Obviously I can still move on, but its Covid now, not my fault!

The hardest job I have done is the waitress job thing, thank god I am not a mother because every single minute will be waitressing... My arms hurt from carrying food ok!

Oh ya, do you know I finally realise I must greet and chit-chat with my students? Because, in order for music to be alive, the relationship has to be alive. You cannot produce dead music, it is very sian....

As for other jobs, if I have the energy and time, I will still do. Because what is music if the only experience you have in life is the piano room?

No comments: