Monday, February 14, 2022

Grade 5 Piano

I love teaching Grade 5 for piano, because it is the first grade where the pieces are finally pianistic.

Even Grade 4, the notes are mainly repetitive and one hand does not even move much.

There is something about Grade 5 in the piano world, where your fingers know that true piano music is being played.

Firstly, there is a lot of turning and squeezing (for the lack of better words) in the hands. Secondly, you have to press the pedal, otherwise your notes are too detached because you realise true legato cannot be done in the hands (for you). Thirdly, it is the rhythm - in between the bars, it is really quick!

Once you hit Grade 5, you finally realise there are no slow songs for the piano.

Sure, I can sing a ballad slowly. I can do slow practice. I can appreciate slow pieces. I can "Ahhhhhhh....." with my korean ballads everyday.

But, when you really play a piece (both hands of course), you know there is no slow motions at all, because something is definitely moving, whether it is the bass clef harmony, the treble clef melodies (not melody) or the pedal.

Why ah? Why Grade 5 then feel like piano type? Why not beginner already feel like piano?

Then, what about Grade 6, 7, 8, diploma, degree, master?

And then, which exam board's Grade 5? ABRSM, Yamaha, Trinity, Guidhall?

I also don't know what I'm talking about, I type nonsense. No need to read ah, is nonsense!

--------------------------------------------------------------------

I like the sounds of Grade 5 pieces, because the changing harmonies occur within one bar, dragged on to the next, and even a basic tonic triad is inverted. The melody can run from right hand, to the left hand, and keeps switching in between, so that the audience feel something different. The jazz pieces are definitely not as catchy (for first listening) compared to Grades 1 to 4, but at least they are more.... jazzy? It's the chords. It's.....quite cool leh, true jazz!

I love my Grade 5 students most, really I treat them like my Valentine's!

We go through life's ups and downs together, we shall get married soon.

For a while, we felt the glory of hitting Grade 5 in piano. We looked at the beginners and no longer feel attached to them. And then, we played something (one hand) from the Grade 5 syllabus, and we feel like Spiderman because the melody alone feels so nice! Then, time stops. Everything froze. The cycle repeats.

Learn : Unlearn : Relearn

It is really true, especially at critical stages in learning and in life.

May I have the patience to learn with my students, then unlearn and treat myself like a true amateur, and then learn again because the best music needs to be learned so so so so many times.


No comments: